• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the oracle
    Season Ticket Holder
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Football View Post
    Coaches pulling scholarship offers is more common than you’d think. Happens at most big colleges every year
    Exception rather than the rule or the media grossly underreports it. While a coach might get by it with here or there, I would seriously doubt it's as scandalous as Malkin suggests in post 56. But we do know "commitments" flip all the time such that it's become routine/expected. A coach pulling an offer on a one-off basis vs. the established & widespread practice of flipping... big difference. We should just call the commitments what they are: soft pathetic verbal pledges because there's only a 50/50 chance at best anymore that a D1 recruit actually goes and stays where he "commits." They're rentals.

Originally posted by 71Malkinmania View Post
    That’s because the days of being a snake oil salesman are over.
    It's possible. I never thought Hairball would actually leave UM after this past season but he did. And I never thought Saban would ever retire but he did -- and I know he was one of the ones clamoring for regulation, if only mildly. Bottom line is the players aren't the ones asking for regulation and if the coaches had it so well, they wouldn't be doing it either. Maybe the scales have tipped but what we have now is a bunch of hollow commitments, with college players now effectively paid professionals going wherever they please whenever they want. There's no commitment whatsoever, just to themselves -- "me" people as I said.

Btw, will never forget Joe Tiller calling RichRod a snake oil salesman. That was funny at the time but I wouldn't say everyone is as shady as UM coaches. It just kind of runs in the family up there.

Comment

• Football
      Cheerleader
      • Aug 2023

Typically it’s because they take their verbal commitment early then later have to pull it due to the kid not developing how they wanted them to their senior year or grades/character issues. Then the unfortunate instances of them just pulling it because a bigger fish wants to get on board and they don’t want or can’t take both due to numbers. Sometimes it’s right before or on signing day which is scummy

Comment

• Football
        Cheerleader
        • Aug 2023

Then you have the committable versus uncommittable “offers” which schools will sometimes “offer” a kid but they can’t commit right away and need to perform in front of them at a camp first to let them commit or never make it commitable if they don’t pass the eye test or have a good senior year before they’ll allow the kid commit. Some colleges send out hundreds of “offers” each class

Comment

• the oracle
          Season Ticket Holder
          • Oct 2008

Typically it’s because they take their verbal commitment early then later have to pull it due to the kid not developing how they wanted them to their senior year or grades/character issues. Then the unfortunate instances of them just pulling it because a bigger fish wants to get on board and they don’t want or can’t take both due to numbers. Sometimes it’s right before or on signing day which is scummy
          With respect to the bold part, that is completely understandable and fair. If you don't perform, you lose your scholarship. That's on the player, not the coach. It's the second type of revocation above that I would raise an eyebrow over and ask how often does it really happen. The way Malkin talks, you'd think there was some giant conspiracy that's been unraveled where it's finally as fair to the player as the coach. And to that I say please. D1 players have ALWAYS had luxuries not enjoyed by the common student and if there were widespread shenanigans going on with coaches, we'd know about it. It would be firmly documented on espn.com, usatoday.com, The Athletic, Yahoo sports, etc. -- not just speculation on high school internet forums. If Ryan Day were doing it, then he wouldn't have an embarrassment of riches at certain positions like he does at times. I'm not privy to recruiting conversations but I would think the coaches give players some fair notice to the effect of "you might not play as soon as you want" or "we have offers out to other guys at your same position" but even if they don't, players have to know that that's obvious, to be expected, etc.

Comment

• the oracle
            Season Ticket Holder
            • Oct 2008

Then you have the committable versus uncommittable “offers” which schools will sometimes “offer” a kid but they can’t commit right away and need to perform in front of them at a camp first to let them commit or never make it commitable if they don’t pass the eye test or have a good senior year before they’ll allow the kid commit. Some colleges send out hundreds of “offers” each class
            Well of course they're only offers until they're acted upon. They can only be as much until a handshake is transacted. Again, that's fair and understood by all sides. But if you act upon the offer and then flip.. not cool with me personally. The players are just being selfish, milking it for what it's worth. Zero commitment.

Comment

• OHfootball3
              Season Ticket Holder
              • Sep 2018

Nice, healthy debate here, but did we forget to tag Shadyside, D7R27 at the end of each comment to keep this relatable to the topic? Doesn’t have to be Shadyside, any D7R27 team will work.

Comment

• Football
                Cheerleader
                • Aug 2023

There’s dirty business on both sides especially now with the NIL stuff. Big time prospects can get away with some shenanigans but your typical 3 star better be careful. There’s a lot of we’ll take your commitment now but if you wait around and take other visits and flirt with other schools we’ll just take another player in your spot who’s 99% just as good as you

Some kids screw around and get screwed in the end trying to play games typically because they don’t have a good supporting cast around them

Comment

• the oracle
                  Season Ticket Holder
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by OHfootball3 View Post
                  Nice, healthy debate here, but did we forget to tag Shadyside, D7R27 at the end of each comment to keep this relatable to the topic? Doesn’t have to be Shadyside, any D7R27 team will work.
                  [looks at list of teams in post #1]

Let’s go with….. Conotton Valley for $200 Alex. I saw they had a nice turf field in a game I was watching last year. I say they are the dark horse to win the region. Conotton Valley Nation!

Comment

• Britny Fox
                    Cheerleader
                    • Oct 2022

With all that oil & gas drilling money out Conotton Valley way the Rockets may get even more upgrades for their sports.

Comment

• the oracle
                      Season Ticket Holder
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Britny Fox View Post
                      With all that oil & gas drilling money out Conotton Valley way the Rockets may get even more upgrades for their sports.
                      I wondered how they got their field. Turf ain’t exactly cheap and it’s not like the Rockets are a football powerhouse.

Comment

• 71Malkinmania
                        Valued Contributor
                        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by OHfootball3 View Post
                        We just filling this thread because there won’t be much to talk about from Shadyside in this region.

Comment

• RES874
                          Ohio Valley Sports Expert
                          • Jun 2008

A rough guess for fun.

#1 Newark Catholic
                          #2 Danville
                          #3 Trimble
                          #4 Fairfield Christian Academy
                          #5 Catholic Central Steubenville
                          #6 Conotton Valley
                          #7 Eastern (Beaver)
                          #8 Ridgedale (Moral)
                          #9 Shadyside
                          # 10 River
                          # 11 Bridgeport
                          # 12 Southern (Racine)
                          # 13 Frontier (New Matamoras)
                          # 14 Green (Franklin Furnace)
                          # 15 Notre Dame (Portsmouth)
                          # 16 Fisher Catholic (Lancaster)

and the rest

Comment

• Tom Moore
                            All Ohio Valley
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by RES874 View Post
                            A rough guess for fun.

#1 Newark Catholic
                            #2 Danville
                            #3 Trimble
                            #4 Fairfield Christian Academy
                            #5 Catholic Central Steubenville
                            #6 Conotton Valley
                            #7 Eastern (Beaver)
                            #8 Ridgedale (Moral)
                            #9 Shadyside
                            # 10 River
                            # 11 Bridgeport
                            # 12 Southern (Racine)
                            # 13 Frontier (New Matamoras)
                            # 14 Green (Franklin Furnace)
                            # 15 Notre Dame (Portsmouth)
                            # 16 Fisher Catholic (Lancaster)

and the rest
                            Dream field composition. Well done.

Comment

• Football
                              Cheerleader
                              • Aug 2023

I’m high on Conotton Valley this season. Lose their running back but most everyone else is back

Comment

• Woodsfield_proud
                                Cheerleader
                                • Sep 2022

My friend Coach Rus will have Beallsville in the top 16.

Comment

Working...
                                X