• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadysidesue
    The Yoda of Ohio Valley Sports
    • Sep 2010

Shadyside 'tigers' ... Swimming program

Have always hoped to see Shadyside get a 'SWIMMING' program in sports competition. Thought this could be a possibility but with the current political atmosphere; i.e., shutting down fossil fuels, pipeline, etc., and replacing it with the unreliable GREEN ENERGY...the 'fracking' (is that correct spelling?) plant hoped for in the old Burger location in Dilles Bottom may never happen. If it came to our area and Shadyside built a new school, my hope was that they would build an inside pool in the new school to begin a swimming program. Being a swimmer myself, think there are a lot of 'TIGERS' who would love to be part of a swimming program. Maybe we'll see a huge turnaround in a few months and the USA will rebound from some really bad decisions for our energy. Think our students living in the Powhatan area are on swim teams at Powhatan pool. Hope this happens in the future! smile
    Tiger Pride Is On Our Side!!
  • barefacts
    • Jun 2011

Where exactly do you expect all these kids to come from. Shadyside is a small school. You have to accept that. This has been a complaint you've championed b4.
    One sport takes away from another. So on and so on. Shadyside being small is at a disatvantage to be able to field teams in every sport. Give credit to them for what they have accomplished and stop being so critical. Next you'll be wanting a Soccer Team, a Hockey Team, a LaCrosse Team, and a Tennis Team. You've complained b4 that additional sports have been the reason the band is so small. You have to realize that Shadyside has to function within the problems facing the small enrollment schools. Nothing ever seems to satisfy you. I still like you though. �� Smile.

Comment

• shadysidesue
      • Sep 2010

barefacts...haha...I like you too, my friend. Think about my not presenting ideas as 'complaints' but as ideas and suggestions. I am very easy to get along with...just like to see things faced honestly and examine how things can be changed. You won't see me at SHS with a sign or anything...can't get close to the school not being a long-lost relative...close relative, whatever. haha That's fine...my posts will cheer everyone on in 'Tiger Town'. As for 'small school'...a swimming program would have to be worked out possibly after basketball season? Don't know...but it would be a great addition. 'Build it'...they will come. Getting ready to watch 'live' coverage at 7:00p.m. from the 'Tiger Den' as the 'LT's' play their first tournament game...click on over to Shadyside Athletics YouTube and watch. smile

Comment

• barefacts
        • Jun 2011

It will be "stats night" against poor little Bridgeport. Where is 88 Bulldog ?

Comment

• Dr DNG
          Valued Contributor
          • Aug 2008

When you have many, many sports it takes your best
          athletes and spreads them out to all of the sports.
          The results? More kids playing sports, but the
          quality of your best sports declines.

Comment

• shadysidesue
            • Sep 2010

Dr DNG...good point. However, Shadyside's champion volleyball team this season had all five (5) starters from the 'LT' basketball team playing volleyball. Think the jumping and physical play in volleyball has made the 'LT's' basketball starters better conditioned to run the floor.

Comment

• Dr DNG
              Valued Contributor
              • Aug 2008

Sue, you missed my point completely.
              I am talking about schools that offer
              4-5 or even 6 boys sports in the fall and
              4-5 or even 6 sports in the fall and similarly
              in the winter season and in the spring season.

Comment

• shadysidesue
                • Sep 2010

Dr DNG...That many options in a small school couldn't happen at SHS. Always loved swimming because I lived in the water from the time I was a kid. Lived on Lincoln in Shadyside and, in the summer, we all had our 'chores' to do (mine was keeping the front porched washed) and then we'd receive our money to go catch the bus to Bellaire who had a wonderful swimming pool. We'd swim until closing time, catch the bus back to Shadyside (usually with a good sunburn). By the end of the summer, we'll all have great tans that would fade by fall season. Would love to see Shadyside get a new swimming pool again that would be profitable to operate...so many good memories kids have from 'pool time'. smile

Comment

• Dr DNG
                  Valued Contributor
                  • Aug 2008

That is my point. The more sports you
                  add, the talent is diluted. If you add
                  swimming, do you want a couple of
                  your best basketball players choosing
                  to swim instead? Girls with good
                  upper body strength of swimmers
                  make good basketball players and
                  vice versa. I believe a few years
                  ago, Shadyside had a young lady
                  who played basketball who was
                  actually a much better swimmer.
                  PS: I'm happy you use such
                  a great sport to keep you in shape.

Comment

• shadysidesue
                    • Sep 2010

Dr DNG...remember the old Esther Williams movies (great swimmer). I love to watch those when they 'rarely' run them on tv...tickles me how she never stops 'smiling' underwater, hair slicked back with vaseline and lots of flowers. Wonder if today's swimmers even know who Esther Williams is...probably not? Think she died when she was 92...must be all that swimming keeping her body fit. It does allow you to be 'free' when you're in the water. Plus, just a great sport. smile

Comment

Working...
                    X